Tuesday, May 15, 2012

dear mOm-

 Dear mom,

Remember when I was little and you would french braid my long hair and poof up my bangs?
 I would always wine about how it hurt, but honestly, I loved every hair pull when I saw the beauty of the final product.
 Remember how Randi and I wanted to cut that long hair but you refused to let us for the longest time until one Sunday morning you surprised us by taking us into the bathroom and cutting it yourself? 
I still remember how happy that made me.
Remember when I was in first grade and I came home crying after school one day because Travis teased me about my freckles?
You told me that my freckles were angel kisses and he was just jealous. 
Remember when you made us go to church every week and I asked you one day if church ever took a break like school did? You laughed and said no.
Thank you for instilling the gospel of Jesus Christ in my life and telling me every chance you got that I am a daughter of God.
  Remember when we would take those trips to Provo just to go shopping? Or our annual 7-Peaks trip with the Hooper's? 
I looked forward to those trips like I looked forward to Christmas.
Remember when you would bake a big batch of cookies only to tell us it wasn't for us but for a family that needed it more at the time?
Thank you for teaching me how to give everything of myself to those in need.
Remember when I grew older, started playing high school sports, and became an expensive child with shoes, jerseys, team shirts, fundraisers, and bus trips to pay for? 
Thanks for giving me the money to do what I loved.
Remember when I didn't always get a long with some of my coaches?
Thanks for always being on my side and supporting me when I needed it the most.
Remember when I turned sixteen and I wanted a new car so bad?
Thank you for not giving it to me. Thank you for teaching me that I needed to work for those things I wanted. It made the day I bought my own car so much better.
Remember when I thought I knew everything and you knew nothing?
I was wrong, entirely.
Remember when I would gripe and complain to no end because you made me clean my room, the bathroom, vacuum the stairs, weed the garden, fold the laundry, dust the living room, do the dishes, mow the lawn, and spray off the carport? And then make me do it again because I didn't do it right?
Thank you for teaching me not only how to clean, but how to clean right.
Remember when I would buy clothes that needed alterations in some way or another?
Thank you for sewing almost every piece of clothing I own so it fit. (Even still)
Remember when I would go out with my friends at night and you would wait up for me?
Thanks for talking to me about my night when I got home and making sure I was safe.
Remember when I went away to college and life was completely different? 
Thanks for always calling me to catch up and making sure I was okay.
Remember when I epically failed one of my tests in my Natural Hazards class and I called you crying hysterically?
Thanks for listening to me and telling me everything would work out. It did.
Remember the day I called and told you about Steven? Remember how that was the same day you bought me that ring that says 'Nothing is impossible'?
I will wear it forever.
I think you knew before I did that I was going to marry him. Mother's really do just know.
Remember my wedding day and how you did everything in your power to make it the best day of my life? And how you wore our matching purple ring?
Thank you for remembering our special rings, and for wearing it that day. It WAS the best day of my life.
Thank you for always being there to answer my silly wife questions and validate my feelings.
Thank you for making me who I am today, mom.
Thank you for always loving me no matter what.
Thank you for building bits of you inside of me.
And even though it scares me to death to think about having children of my own and raising them in this crazy world, thank you for showing me how to be a wonderful, loving, patient, kind, humble, and caring mother.
I love you momma.
You mean the world to me.



3 comments: